Journal Prompts: You, Your Life, Your Dreams
On this page, you'll find journal prompts for writing about yourself and your unique perspective. At the bottom of this page are links to more journal writing prompts on different subjects.
Journal prompts - all about you
- What kind of day are you having, and why?
- What's your favorite color, place, food, book, song, or movie, and why?
- What do you like to do? How does it make you feel?
- Where are you happiest? Describe that place.
- What's something you're good at? What makes you good at it?
- What do you consider to be your culture, and how do you feel about it?
- What would you change about yourself or your life? Is there a way for you to change it?
- What is your relationship like with various members of your family?
- If you have brothers or sisters, how are you similar to them or different from them? What about with your friends?
- What are your views on religion?
- What keeps you up at night worrying? Are your worries realistic? Is there anything you can do about them?
- Do you have a philosophy of life? If so, what is it? If not, what is your method for making important decisions?
- In what areas are you optimistic, and in what areas are you pessimistic?
- What are your most prized possessions?
- Who is someone you miss?
- What is something someone else has that you envy? Describe it and your feelings about it.
- What is a book, movie, song, or television program that has influenced you, and how?
- What is a mistake people often make about you?
- What's something you disagree with about the way you were raised?
- What's your favorite: season, color, place, or food? Describe it.
Journal prompts - daydreams
- Describe your dream: job, man/woman, house.
- How would you like your life to be when you're older?
- What would be the guest list at your dream party? What would the various guests talk about?
- What magic power would you like to have? How would you use it? What would it feel like?
- If you won the lottery, what would you do?
- What's a country you'd like to visit? How do you imagine your time there?
Get journal ideas for writing about your memories.
Get descriptive writing prompts and tips on writing powerful descriptions.
Find out how to keep a writing journal for your poetry and fiction writing.
See a list of all Creative Writing Now pages on how to keep a journal.
Join our online course on memoir writing.
<< BACK from Journal Prompts to Creative Writing Now Home